Philosophy and Curriculum
Truth Be Told's evolving curriculum integrates the expressive arts of public speaking, writing, and movement with a guided process of personal story telling and transformation.
In designing and teaching the curriculum, the objectives are to:
- Deepen the inmates' self-understanding and wise use of freedom of choice
- To teach inmate participants to improve their communication skills
through writing, speaking, and respectful listening
- To assist inmate participants in developing tools of self-expression using movement, song, storytelling, and stillness
- To evoke inmate participants to become mentors both to new class members and in other relationships
- Provide support and serve as role models as they learn to support each other
The work of Truth Be Told began at the Lockhart Prison Facility near Austin, Texas, where the curriculum includes the Talk To Me series, Let's Get Real, Exploring Creativity Workshops, and God In Human Form!